Friday, October 23, 2009

Will Amoxicillin get rid of a tooth/gum infection resulting from a wisdom tooth?

I have an impacted wisdom tooth on the bottom rite which i'm gettin removed next week. It caused an infection yesterday, my rite cheek is swollen with pain radiating to the head and ear. I've taken 5 doses of Amoxicillin as instructed since yesterday, still the pain and the swelling is the same. How long does it take it to kick in? I hope it's at least keepin the infection from spreading elsewhere if not cure it. I must take 3 tablets a day for a week, each tablet is 500mg.

Will Amoxicillin get rid of a tooth/gum infection resulting from a wisdom tooth?
You're on a high dose of amoxicillin so it will take 2 or 3 days at least to display signs of it working. Don't worry, it's totally normal. If the pain continues as it is for another 5 days then go back to your dentist and get a prescripition for Voltarol...in the mean time 2 paracetamol every 4 hours and 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours but stagger them so you are taking one or the other every 2 hours....don't take them at the same time!!! eg 2 paracetamol at 2pm then 2 ibuprofen at 4 pm and 2 paracetamol at 6pm.





hope you feel better soon
Reply:I've never had a real problem with an impacted wisdom tooth. But I have had a tooth infection and a horrible toothache before, where I had to be on antibiotics and pain medication. The dentist prescribed the same thing for me, 500mg of Amoxicillin, and also 800mg of Ibuprofen for pain. One time, the pain was so severe they gave me Vicodin. I don't know what an impacted wisdom tooth is like, but I can tell you that an abscessed tooth is excruciating.





Amoxicillin will kill the infection and the pain will start to ease up, but it may take a while. The doctor or dentist who prescribed the antibiotics should also have given you a strong pain medication. The antibiotics will treat the cause of the pain (infection), but it will take time. Go back to the dentist and ask for pain medication. In the mean time, Ibuprofen will help with the pain and swelling. You can get 200mg Ibuprofen over the counter.





The Amoxicillin will definitely keep the infection from spreading, as long as you keep taking it as directed. I remember when I had to take it, it seemed like it took a while to start working for me too. I didn't notice any real improvement for at least 2 or 3 days. But it will work. If it seems to be getting worse, definitely go back to the dentist. I don't know if Penecillin is stronger, but for a really bad infection you might need a stronger antibiotic. Usually, Amoxicillin works though.





Another thing is try to take it easy...don't do any exercise or heavy lifting, because that will increase your heart rate and make the imflammation worse. That will cause even more pain and swelling. Right now, you just want to be calm and take it easy, and let the medication work. This is one time where you definitely have an excuse to just sit and watch tv or play on the computer! :)



phone

No comments:

Post a Comment