Monday, March 15, 2010

I have an impacted tooth...?

I was 17 when I found out I still had a baby tooth. I went to the dentist regularly all my life and the dentist didn't catch this, but an orthodontist did. So, I got the baby tooth removed and have been without a tooth for about two years now. The ortho said that this tooth would come down on its own. It has yet to do so. And I look like a moron because I have a tooth missing. My question to orthodontists/dentists/someone who works in the field is, what should I do now. I really don't want to get braces. At 19, its embarassing. I have straight teeth. and, no wisdom teeth (never had any to begin with) So, I believe there is room for a tooth to come in straight. Well, any help would be awesome. And I am sure within these two years my teeth have shifted significantly with there being a tooth missing. Thanks a lot!

I have an impacted tooth...?
You may need to get braces! Although your orthodontist said the tooth would erupt on it's own, it has been two years. This happened to me, with both of my upper canines. What they did was "sand" down my gingiva and placed a bracket on the crown of my canine, and slowly pulled it down. Some impacted teeth just aren't in the correct position to erupt on their own.
Reply:Did your orthodontist ever suggest having the impacted tooth exposed, then bonded and bracketed to bring it down? I assume since he thought it would move down into the baby tooth's spot that it was positioned in a vertical way. To expose a tooth a flap of tissue needs to be laid open, then a bracket is bonded to the tooth. A small wire, chain or some other type of attachment is used to connect this tooth to arch wires of brace work. It is like towing the tooth into place. Takes a little while but I'm guessing if you were in braces at the time, you no longer are. It may still be a possibility. If the tooth will never come down, you may want to consider having it removed by an oral surgeon. The space in your mouth can be taken care of by one of three options: An implant, a three unit bridge or a flipper partial. It would take some time to explain each one, but you can chat with your general dentist about those options, or you can check them out on the ADA (American Dental Association) web site. Cost wise they are all probably about the same. Good Luck.



hair tips

No comments:

Post a Comment